Monday, February 21, 2011

SAUSAGE GRAVY WITH BISCUITS





COMFORT FOOD

I don't remember the first time I had sausage gravy and biscuits, but I do know one thing. IT'S REALLY GOOD!!!!!!!
It's one of those comfort foods that does just what it says, comforts you. It was a snowy day today and I just wanted something warm and this hit the spot. It's really an easy dish to make. I know some of you are intimidated with making gravy, but it really isn't that difficult. It's really pretty forgiving, and hey if there are a few lumps, so what, cause it tastes delicious anyway. I know I didn't have this as a kid growing up and I am wondering why my mom didn't fix it. I'm pretty sure this was a dish that Ross introduced me to. Oh well, whoever brought this yummy food into my life did themselves and all others a big favor because this will be staying in my repertoire of recipes for years to come.

SAUSAGE GRAVY

1/2 pound of ground sausage
2 tablespoons oil
4 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
salt and pepper to taste

Brown sausage in 2 tablespoons oil. You need the oil because most sausage today doesn't have enough fat on it to make the gravy.
After the sausage is browned add 2 tablespoons flour and cook for a minute or 2. You need to do this to get the raw taste out of the flour. Add the milk and continue cooking until the mixture thickens and boils. If it's too thick just add some more milk slowly and continue cooking. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve hot over biscuits you made or bought or hired someone to make for you, whatever floats your boat.
Sit down and ENJOY!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment