Monday, February 28, 2011

MADONNA BROWN'S BREAD PIE


This past week I attended the funeral of our dear friend Max Brown. I had known Max and his wife Madonna, who passed away about 6 years ago, since I was in my early 20's. They were both a great example to me of just what good people are all about.
They loved the Lord and their family very much and it was evident in all they did.
I had the great pleasure to make Madonna's bread pie for the funeral dinner. I have had this recipe for years, but had not made it in a long time. I did a dry run the day before the funeral because I wanted to make sure I got it just right, and oh I was not disappointed. I love this humble pie. It reminds me of something that might have been made during the depression when using the basics was what you did. It is so easy to make and I had to ask myself why I hadn't made it in so very long. I hope you will all give this simple pie a chance to please your family. My kids always loved it. It's sweet, but not like a sugar cream pie. It's a little like bread pudding but much more moist. It's just a pie you have to make to appreciate.
ENJOY!

BREAD PIE
2 SLICES BREAD TORN INTO PIECES AND PUT IN THE BOTTOM OF AN UNBAKED PIE SHELL
MIX:
2/3 CUP SUGAR
2 TABLESPOONS FLOUR, ROUNDED
2 CUPS WHOLE MILK
POUR OVER THE BREAD AND SPRINKLE WITH CINNAMON AND BUTTER
BAKE AT 350 DEGREES FOR 55 MINUTES

THIS IS SO GOOD AND JUST REMINDS ME OF A TIME WHEN THINGS WERE SIMPLE.
I SUGGEST YOU USE WHOLE MILK TO GET THE BEST FLAVOR. I MADE IT WITH SKIM FOR THE DRY RUN AND IT WAS OK, BUT THE PIE FOR THE FUNERAL WAS MADE WITH WHOLE MILK AND IT JUST KNOCKED THE SOCKS OFF THE OTHER PIE.

5 comments:

  1. where do you get your pie crusts, or do you make them? They look so good!!!
    -Timi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting this!! Can't wait to try it. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandma (and grandpa) would have been proud! Thanks for all that you did to make the memorial special. Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sister Staller was grateful my Mom shared your blog with me as I love to cook and bake as well! Even more I loved my Grandma and Grandpa Brown. I am so grateful for the service you rendered in making bread pies for Grandpa's funeral it was so kind of you. I make bread pie and Jefferson Davis almost every Thanksgiving and Christmas in honor of them! Not to mention they are amazingly delicious and easy! My brothers love both pies so they are a must have at family gatherings. Thanks again!

    Celeste Brown Yergensen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carlene!

      Just noticed that Celeste joined your blog and left you a note of gratitude for your service at Grandpa Brown's funeral luncheon. It was wonderful to see you there and meant so much to enjoy a traditional Brown family dinner, complete with our favorite pies and desserts. Thanks again for all that you did to make it a memorable and special time for us. . .

      I appreciate your excellent cooking blog and Facebook friendship, too!

      Hugs,
      Aleen and 7 "Brownies"

      Delete