Tuesday, February 8, 2011

MOMS RED VELVET CAKE



I remember this cake from my childhood. For years I didn't think I liked it, but came to find out I just didn't like the black walnuts that my mom sprinkled on the icing.
I stumbled on this icing recipe recently and thought, gee that seems really familiar, so I called my sister and sure enough, it was my moms recipe from years ago. Funny how whats old is new again.
Well anyway I made these cupcakes for my bookclub. I added a few extras, like the strawberries on top and the chocolate eclair filling inside, but really it's just my moms red velvet cake gussied up a little bit.
Enjoy.

MOMS RED VELVET CAKE
Cream together:
1 cup shortening, I used butter crisco
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 oz. or 1/4 cup red food coloring

Sift together:
2 1/4 cups flour
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons soda

Add the above mixture alternately with the following liquids to the sugar mixture
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla.

beat till all is combined.
pour into 2 round cake pans
Bake at 350 degrees for about 25-30 min. or until the top springs back when touched lightly with your finger.
Bake cupcakes for about 15 min. or til done.
Everyones oven bakes a little different so just keep a watch on it til done.

Icing
5 tablespoons flour
1 cups milk
cook on top of the stove till thick. Cool completely. Cover with plastic wrap to keep it from forming a skin on top as it cools.
While it cools mix the following:
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
Beat this til nice and fluffy, you want all the sugar mixed so it's not grainy at all.
Add the cooled flour mixture and beat like crazy. It will look like its seperating but just keep beating until it looks like whipped cream.
This is such a light icing. I just love it.
It is especially good with chocolate cake.
Hope you have a special occasion to make this and wow your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment