Wednesday, January 19, 2011

NOODLES

Well today is the day. I went to the dr. this morning and got another shot in the back and since I am feeling pretty good I decided today was the day to make the noodles. I fixed a roast last night with mashed potatoes and gravy, so we have leftover beef to make the noodles scrumptious.
The noodles were really easy to mix up, but not as easy rolling out. I kept thinking as I was rolling, Macy said this was easy. Well I have come to the conclusion that her arms are a lot more buff than mine cause I was experiencing some pain as I was rolling. Well not even some pain, but actually enough for me to think, I need a pasta machine or I probably won't be doing this again. And if any of you know Ross, my other half ,you know a pasta machine is not in my future. He would say, don't be such a wimp. Well I am a wimp and that is that. It's just who I am. Well enough said about that. Anyway I rolled out the dough, let it sit for a
couple of hours and then cut it up and let it sit for another couple of hours. They looked so nice just sitting there drying out, waiting to be dropped into some boiling beef broth. The thing I love about homemade noodles is when you cook them, the flour from the noodles helps to thicken the broth and then they are oh so creamy and delicious. They turned out great. I will not be eating them on mashed potatoes tonight because I only have enough left overs for Ross when he gets home, but I am sure they will still be delicious. Ok here is the recipe and what I did.

2 cups flour
3 egg yolks and one whole egg
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 to 1/2 cup water.
Measure the flour into a mixing bowl. Add the egg yolks the egg and salt. Now just get your hands in there and mix it up. It will be crumbly. Add the water one tablespoon at a time and mix. Continue to add the water until the dough holds together. Knead it for about 10 minutes until it gets smooth and elastic. Cover it with a towel and let it sit for 10 min. Now divide the dough into 4 equal parts and roll out one at a time, keeping the remaining ones covered. Roll out very thin. Try to roll them in a rectangle if you can, I wasn't very good at it and it looked more like my pie crusts, but that's ok it won't affect the outcome. Continue to roll out the remainder of the dough and just let them sit for about 2
hours to dry some. You will need to use some flour as you roll them out or they will stick to the rolling pin and the counter. After they have dried for a coupleof hours you are ready to cut into strips. I cut 4 strips out of each circle of dough. You can now stack up the strips and cut however wide you want your noodles. They will need to dry for another 2 hours and now you are ready to cook. Bring 3 cans of beef broth, with beef added if you have it, to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until done, about 10 min. Dish up and serve on mashed potatoes or just eat plain. ENJOY


Cutting my noodles

Ready to cook


Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. I think you've inspired me to try noodles for the first time ever! I remember them being so good! And I really like your blog. I think Macy had a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted a good noodle recipe and I will be trying this for sure! Thanks Carlene! Looking at all your recipes is sure making me hungry! lol

    ReplyDelete